Friday, February 8, 2008

Are you inspired yet? How 'bout now? Now?


Passion.


No, not the fruit, but the voice in your soul that speaks out when you find something that you love. One of my favorite aspects of working in a University environment is witnessing, and assisting with, students experiencing that light bulb moment. The moment when they declare a major, or discover the path for the rest of their lives. It may sound cornball, but I am telling you...it's amazing. You meet these students when they are scared, lost and intimidated freshmen, and over their career you witness the metamorphosis into knowledgeable, informed citizens of the world. Pretty powerful. Really. During the middle of winter term (where we are now), the flow of students into my office has slowed, so it gives me an opportunity to read, research and develop new ideas for assisting exploring (or undeclared) students. I ran across a website that discusses "college and character" - there was some really good reading in there. I believe most of the material was aimed at religious institutions, but I was quite inspired by some of the posts from students.


(Reader says to self…Ooookayyyyy, Sam, bring on the point!!!!!!) So, on to my point...is it possible to have your passion be to inspire others to find theirs? Could be. It seems most of the time God gets my train of thought, and puts things in my environment that totally supports my line of thinking. Take Donny Deutsch (http://www.thebigidea.com)/ First, he's totally adorable. Second, ok...maybe he's a bit too much capitalist for me, but I think I am his soulmate. That's what he does. He inspires people. He has them reach for their passion, and follow their dreams and their hearts. Hey, he even had Matthew McConaughey on this week, and that dude's deep too. http://www.matthewmcconaughey.com/ His mantra: Just keep livin. I dig you, brotha, I dig you. (Sidebar...ok, Matthew McConaughey is bathwater-drinking adorable, but has a soul, and isn't afraid to use it! Plus...he loves GOOD ice! Me too, hey…maybe he's my soulmate too! He has a special icemaker in his house that dispenses crushed ice, because he is really an ice connoisseur. Weird. So nice to know you aren't alone in the world.) Anyway, quite noble work, if you ask me. Isn't that what we, as parents, are supposed to do as well? Teach your children to reach for the stars, and do everything in your power to build a ladder for them. I think another reason I am drawn to Donny Deutsch is because I am an inventor, and a designer way down deep. I am always jotting down ideas for new inventions, and am fascinated by that creative process. I even encouraged Emma to start her own invention book. It’s our little thing we share…pretty sweet.


What's your passion? When did you find it? Are you living it out? Why or why not? (Please break into small groups and discuss.)


Ok, on to more important things. Funny story of the week: I was walking to work with my ubercoolcuttingedgepod, (howdayalikemenow, Darin!) aka, my ipod blaring in my ears, I think it was Carrie Underwear saaaanging, anyway...I was politely walking on my side of the sidewalk, tight against the left side when dude on bike decides to pass me, on the LEFT side. Ok, so he had like, 3/4 of a mile to pass on the right, but no, decides to scoot between me and the hedge on this icy patch of sidewalk. So, I, being the calm, composed and cool chick that I am, yelled "OOOOOOOHHHHHH". That's it. OOOOHHHHHH. Not a simple, fairly quiet poised OOOHHHH, but a "holy shcnikeys, all heck is breaking loose" sort of OOOHHHHH. Then I got the giggles. Said dude on bike is like, a long way away now and boy am I glad. I'm not really sure if that made any sense at all...I had a mocha and no breakfast this morning. Better go get some granola. Happy Friday, all!


(About the picture....that's Jason's ice sculpture. He made with icicles. Isn't it magnificent? He's sooooo talented.) :)




2 comments:

jlcumber said...

you kill me. You lost me then found me and then made me laugh. thanks! And yes...tell J-Bird he is super talented!

Amy said...

I am inspired. I even looked for you dude's website and may become an inventor myself. I am also inspired to be a better mom. I will try to help them find their dreams.