Friday, October 10, 2008

Because Aunt Jan Wanted to Know...

So, this was a pretty good season. Season opened last Saturday, so I snuck out of town on my own a little early and headed to Mom and Dad's. I needed to sight in my rifle. The results?

Not too bad. From 100 yards, it looked sighted in and ready to roll. That hole on the right is NOT a shot. It's the little hole we made when we poked a stick to hang it up. Seriously. Otherwise, I would not have posted this, duh. Anyway, it's a 25.06, so I trust it has enough knockdown power for deers. So, Saturday we left at sunup (which sound sooo much better than 6:50, because it doesn't even get LIGHT until 7:00, so we didn't even get up really early...)

Saw lots of deers, but only two boy deers. Saw one forky crossing the Izee highway going onto private land. Just AFTER seeing the State game cop and a forest circus fuzz pass by. So, needless to say, any bright ideas about bending the rules that may have developed were left to fester in our little brains. (Well, mine is small...Dad's, not so much.) Saw a big group of does cross the road in front of us, and I was saying as they walked across single file, "doe, doe, doe" then we saw a pretty nice buck in the bunch. Then, because I am normally not very excitable, I yelled "horns! Dad, horns!" They were on his side, so I jumped out and decided to be his backup. I snuck around the back of the pickup while we waited for him to walk out from behind the tree. Dad was pulled down on him, ready to show him the way to the promiseland. He walked out alright, right behind a DANG doe. Too funny. Dad had a glimpse of his ear and horn as he escaped back into the brush. No shot. We gave chase, but I think he had some important business to take care of, because he appeared to be busy. Too busy to hang around and wait for us to blow him to smithereens.
We also had decided to walk out the end of this road closure. As we were walking, Dad, looking at the sky, commented..."We should head back to the truck pretty soon." And we just kept walking... After a few minutes, he said, "Well, we really should get back". Yes indeedy. A big woosh of wind blew down through the trees and it cut loose on us. Pouring the rain and hail on us. It was pretty funny. Our hats were dripping rain when we got back to the truck. We got all warm and toasty by the heater, and all was well.
So, Saturday was good. Saw lots of deer, but only the two dudes. All in all, hunted 12 hours. Had big tons of fun, just me and pa hangin around in the woods bullshitting each other. Sunday, left early and hunted 5 hours until Andy got here. Then he and Dad went out. He was out less than an hour and had his buck hanging. Little turd. He also had a whole week to hunt, so that was Murphy's Law, don't you think? I was happy for him, I guess he made a pretty good shot.
I took off Thurs and today to hunt. Came back Wed night late so I could hunt Thurs morning. Went for an unguided tour first thing. Dad sent me on a quick little hike and I went on a much longer hike becasue I apparently couldn't find the road he wanted to meet me on. It was snowy and cold, so I wasn't thinking that was a good scenario at all in my little cotton overshirt. But, we got hooked back up and I got this little guy at about 11 on Thurs, and here he is...

Made a very close shot in his little neck when I could finally get my friggin gun to load. This wasn't really my day. Anyway, ain't he cute??? Andy called him a sporky. Fork on one side, spike on the other. Good one, Andro. We aren't big trophy hunters...we're meat hunters. He will be a nice snack, I think. :) (BTW...the look on my face was because Dad wasn't sure the camera was working. I look perplexed, confused. Ok, so I usually am.)

3 comments:

Roger said...

Way to go, Sam.

Amy said...

Nice job! Good hunting and a good post. You're not usually excitable :) Hahahaha.

Roger said...

I've seen that look ALOT in my life. lol